Alquiler de vacaciones
A stage on the route to Santiago de Compostela, Our Lady of Land's End in Soulac was built at the beginning of the 12th century.
Between the 14th and the 15th century, the area silted up raising the ground level by three meters so a new entrance had to be built for the basilica. But in the middle of the 15th century, the inhabitants of Soulac decided to leave the land to the sand and build another more accessible church.
It was only in 1859 that work was undertaken to release Our Lady of Land's End from the tyranny of the sand, but the first three meters of sand excavated were retained, so as not to undermine the foundations on the side. This Romanesque church is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
On the beach, the "Versailles of the sea" rears up from the water. Thus is nicknamed the Cordouan Lighthouse, which stands majestically on the Gironde estuary between Royan and Vaux-sur-Mer.
Built from 1584 to 1611, this is still the oldest working lighthouse. Designed by Louis de Foix, the 68m high white tower is located 7km from the sea, on the Cordouan plateau.
Composed of approximately 300 dressed stones, the lighthouse consists of a circular bastion of 41m in diameter and a frustoconical tower in masonry. From its base to the top, there are 311 steps to the top and the beam extends up to 40km and continues to warn sailors of all countries of the dangers of the Gironde coast.
Not far from the Gironde Estuary, a visit to the Regulus Municipal caves is an exciting and educational excursion. This cave site is located in the heart of a white limestone cliff, near the beach and a pine and oak forest. The town has made it possible to visit the caves in guided tours, in nocturnal visits, as a family or on a Minidik treasure hunt.
Located 15km to the South of Royan, the village of Talmont-sur-Gironde overlooks a rocky outcrop above the Gironde estuary. Its fortified design has remained intact since it was built in 1284 by Edward I of England.
Listed as one of the "plus beaux villages de France", Talmont-sur-Gironde stands out due to its aquatic and marshland environment, as well as its essential Roman church dating back to the 12th century: the Sainte-Radegonde church.
The Gironde is the joint estuary for two rivers: the Garonne and the Dordogne. Its waters lap two departments, the Gironde and the Charente-Maritime. The estuary is 75 kilometres long and 12 km wide at its mouth. It' s the largest in Western Europe, covering an area of 635 km.
The Gironde estuary has a rich history given the importance of seaborne trading. The mouth can be precisely delimited by three points: Pointe de la Négade, Cordouan Lighthouse and Pointe de la Coubre. On one side it waters the Medoc vineyards and on the other the Blaye vineyards, the famous vineyards of Bordeaux.