Little Venice is Colmar’s most romantic neighbourhood with its tiny houses along the Lauch river south of the Alsatian town. This district was home to market garden produce and is where the Marshall triumphantly entered the town in 1674.
These days, the wooden houses with their colourful facades are a delight to visitors.
Situated in a former monastery, this museum draws in excess of 300 000 visitors every year… The collections within span from local archaeology to modern art, with a collection of paintings ranging from Monet to Bonnard and Picasso.
Famous for the $ altarpiece, dated to the 16th century, the museum is also home to a selection of Rhineland primitive paintings and sculptures including La Mélancolie, signed Lucas Cranach, and Portrait de Femme by Hans Holbien l'Ancien.
Built in 1609 for the merchant Anton Burger, the Maison des Têtes (House of the Heads) became a restaurant in 1898 and today is also a hotel.
Its gabled facade, elegant and refined, perfectly embodies Renaissance-style German architecture.
Covered with sculpted heads, hence its name, the house also has an oriel stretching over three floors.
Built on a hill which has been inhabited since the bronze age and which dominates the village of Wintzenheim, the château du Hohlandsbourg is classed as a historical Monument.
Construction began in 1279 under the impetus of the Habsbourgs by Siegfried von Gundolsheim, the château underwent many changes of ownership.
The Thirty Years' War dealt it a fatal blow: the French used explosives and fire to overcome the fortress. Only the walls were left standing.
Following extensive restoration in the mid 80s, the château du Hohlandsbourg constitutes a key tourist point of interest in Alsace.
Protected by its walls, the Medieval town of Riquewihr has preserved authentic appeal. Most types of Alsatian architecture are represented, with wide range of half-timber structures decorated with sculptures, oriels (projecting window) and internal courtyards with fountains and wells.
Riquewihr has kept its Dolder, the town gate, built in the 13th Century.
Numerous museums round off your visit of the village, which, is itself, an open-air museum: the Tour des voleurs (Prison Tower), the maison de vigneron (Vineyard House) from the 15th Century, the Museum of Communications in Alsace or the Hansi House.
Worldwide recognition of the wines produced and the beauty of buildings have earned Riquewihr the label, "The pearl of the Alsatian vineyard".