Recommended sightseeing in the area:
- Heraklion, the capital: (68 km)
- The city is surrounded by Venetian ramparts, good for walks - the view is well worth the detour. The Venetian fortress in the port offers a stunning view over the bay from its roof.
- The archaeological museum offers a chance to explore the Minoan civilisation and Crete through the ages.
- The museum of icons and sacred objects is housed in a Byzantine church, and includes in particular the works of Damaskinos, who was the teacher of the great Cretan artist - El Greco.
- El Greco Park is a peaceful spot, and just a step or two away you'll find the Morosini fountain in a picturesque neighbourhood, and lastly, Agios Minas Cathedral.
- There are plenty of bars and restaurants where you can relax and enjoy the Cretan nightlife... as well as Heraklion's main market, where you will find local produce and arts and crafts.
- Knossos Palace: (75 km)
This is the biggest of the four Minoan palaces and above all a major archaeological site, bearing witness to the grandeur and sophistication of the Minoan and Mycenaean civilisations
Agios Nikolaos (3 km)
This town built around a lake overlooks Mirabello bay. It is one of the main towns of Crete when it comes to entertainment and night life, offering shops, bars and restaurants.