The Picasso Museum, part of Antibes-Juan les Pins' Museum was founded on the ancient acropolis of the Greek town of Antipolis. Up until the beginning of the seventeenth century, the castle was inhabited by theGrimaldi family.
In 1925, the castle was bought by the town of Antibes and transformed into a history and archaeology museum. Only in 1966 was the museum named Picasso and became the first museum dedicated to a living artist.
During his time spent in Antibes, Picasso realized many works (paintings, drawings, tapestries, and ceramics): the collection given by the artist to the town forms part of the museum collection.
This collection will be completed by numerous donations and acquisitions by the town.
The Notre-Dame de l'Immaculée Conception Cathedral of Antibes was probably built on a shrine dedicated to Diana. The building was awarded the title of cathedral as for many years it was home to the Bishop of Antibes.
Although renovated throughout the centuries (the seventeenth, eighteenth and twentieth) the original building was built in the twelfth century, as proven by the square bell of the old lookout tower. The ochre cathedral facade was classified as an Historical Monument after the Second World War.
Exflora Park is located in the Juan-les-Pins district, a few steps away from the Mediterranean sea. This 5 hectare park, open all year round and with free access, presents different aspects of the Mediterranean basin gardens from the times of Ancient Rome up until the exuberant Riviera of the nineteenth century. Here, the water reigns. Follow the trails, discover the waterfalls, fountains, ponds, pools, and the canals.
After the Second World War, Pablo Picasso chose to live and work on the French Riviera. His strong attachment to the Mediterranean coast led him to spend time in Antibes, Cannes and Mougins, and before this at Vallauris (known for its pottery industry) where he was to stay from 1948 to 1955.
As well as a significant body of works in ceramic, the artist's stay was marked by several major paintings realised during this time. The museum exhibits two important works, War and Peace in the chapel. Each year the museum also hosts temporary exhibitions on certain themes.
Built in a checkerboard formation, to a very precise plan at the Abbey of Lérins (on the island in the bay of Cannes), the old village of Vallauris is surrounded by houses packed so tightly together that they served as ramparts.
And to reinforce the defence, each corner of the square is protected by a tower. In days gone by, the two streets in the village linked the two gates to the village at opposite sides.
In the village of Vallauris, you can follow the route which takes you on a tour of the churches and chapels, as well as visiting the Château de Vallauris, one of the rare Renaissance châteaux in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region.
This village beside the Juan gulf is the most active centre on the Côte d'Azur when it comes to ceramic works of art and pottery. Many illustrious people have come here to admire the beauty of this place, including Jean Marais, Picasso and even Napoléon.